Private equity and venture capital
We provide expert advice on private equity/venture capital transactions. Our specialist team advises on all stages of a company’s growth, from fund formation to investment and eventual exit.
We represent private equity funds, management teams, investee companies, including start-up companies.
Our lawyers are experienced in advising and negotiating all documentation, including share sale or subscription agreements, shareholders agreements and articles of association, service agreements for executive directors and option agreements.
As a full service law firm we are able to draw on the expertise of our teams in banking and finance, tax, property, employment, intellectual property and commercial litigation to support our transactional work.
Our relevant experience includes:
- Advising on an £7m investment in a construction company by a venture capital house, including negotiating a shareholders’ agreement and articles of association with minority protections, management controls and exit options, drafting guaranteed loan notes and negotiating service contracts
- Acting for a software company in relation to an $11m investment by a venture capital house
- Advising a software company in relation to a £5m investment by 3i, including negotiating the shareholders’ agreement and articles of association
- Dealing with the £3m investment by a US venture capital house in a joint venture with a UK software designer, including negotiating the investment agreement and articles of association, preference share rights and dividends, minority protections, exit options and US registration and piggy-back rights
- Acting for a medical database company in relation to the £1.5m investment by an off-shore venture capital house
- Acting for a French brand licensing company in relation to a £1m investment in a UK manufacturing company, including negotiating the shareholders’ agreement and articles of association, and secured loan notes
- Forming a series of joint ventures involving venture capital trusts on behalf of a major listed company and carrying out the purchase of several hotels
- Co-ordinating the raising of £14m+ of venture capital and associated bank debt for a health and fitness club group
- Acting for a venture capital house in a series of exits from and investments in technology companies
- acting for a US eye care company on an investment in a newly-formed entity established to market its products in Russia
- Acting for a UK company in relation to a substantial investment by a venture capital house, followed by the buy-out of the original controlling family interest
- Acting for a private equity fund advising on various aspects of structuring and implementing its investments
- Acting for numerous start up companies receiving angel investment