Where we started
More than 170 years of history, from sole practitioner to leading UK-based law firm providing business, regulatory, not-for-profit and private legal advice.
The firm was formed more than 170 years ago, when John Alexander Radcliffe, born in 1823, was admitted as a solicitor in 1844.
He practised as a sole practitioner until 1849 when the first partnership was formed, Edwards and Radcliffe, based in Westminster. Radcliffe was considered to be the finest arbitrator of his day, working with leading civil engineers, the most famous being Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
When John Radcliffe died in 1891, his son Alex Radcliffe continued the practice. Many other members of the Radcliffe family practised with the firm until 1972.
Le Brasseur and Oakley was founded by Robert Le Brasseur and Thomas Oakley in Carey Street in 1881 and practised as an independent firm for 120 years, latterly as Le Brasseur J Tickle until the merger with Radcliffes in 2001 when the firm was named RadcliffesLeBrasseur. The firm converted to a Limited Liability Partnership on 1 April 2020 and is now named RadcliffesLeBrasseur LLP.