Our Hotel and Leisure team looks forward to the challenges of 2012
With a hike in business rates predicted over the coming year, a high level of VAT, red tape hindering business growth and inefficient processing of visas resulting in UK visitor numbers failing to reach their full potential, it is a difficult time for the hotel and leisure industry.
Acting for a number of hotel and leisure clients, including many restaurants and bars, our expertise in this area means that you can rely on us to understand your needs and to provide sound advice relating to all areas of your business.
Licensing is a perpetual issue for hotel and leisure businesses. We have expertise and experience in:
- obtaining premises and other licences
- advising trade bodies
We also handle dispute resolution and property matters, such as lease renewals and property ownership issues.
Property and planning
If you are considering expanding your business or applying for a change of use, Trevor Standen deals with planning matters, have experience of 600 planning applications and appeals in most areas of development. Experience includes:
- acting for Next Generation Clubs Ltd (founded by David Lloyd): acting on appeal relating to a leisure facility
- obtaining planning and listed building consents from Westminster City Council for the new HQ and flagship deli/café for Carluccio’s in Covent Garden
- advising on A3 uses for numerous well-known restaurants and leisure groups.
Everyone knows that the success of a business can come down to how well the staff function. Our employment team’s experience includes:
- advising numerous employers on all aspects of working relationships
- guiding employers through the new Agency Workers Regulations
- advising the senor management team of one of the largest UK hotel portfolios on their contractual terms
Some businesses are taking advantage of the current economic climate to acquire new assets, whilst others are disposing of them or refinancing. Whatever your plan, Peter Coats in our Corporate team can assist you with the complex drafting and negotiations that this can entail. The Corporate team’s experience includes:
- advising on the £60m+ acquisition of a hotel in London
- acting for a listed company in the £60m acquisition of a chain of provincial hotels
- advising on the £40m sale of a publicly listed hotel company to the Sheraton Group
Tax and Private Client
Finally, with the recent news that HM Revenue and Customs is focusing on tax evasion, you might want to make sure that your business does not join the ranks of the 22 restaurants reportedly being considered for criminal prosecution. Victoria Fairley, Partner, can advise you on all tax related issues including tax UK and international corporate and personal tax planning.
We are well placed to bring you up to date with the latest issues facing the hotel and leisure sector in the lead up to the London Olympics and will be producing a number of updates throughout the year.
This briefing is for guidance purposes only. RadcliffesLeBrasseur LLP accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever for any action taken or not taken in relation to this note and recommends that appropriate legal advice be taken having regard to a client's own particular circumstances.