Covid-19 resources: Professional representative bodies
Page last updated 3 June 2021.
Regulators of Health and Care Professions
- Regulators’ joint statement to healthcare professionals
The regulators of health and care professionals in the UK have taken the unusual step of issuing a joint statement in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The regulators’ statement is intended to reassure those providing healthcare that the context of their actions will be taken into account should concerns be raised about their care as they tackle the crisis. For further details, see our briefing by Gareth Gibson and Simon Gomersall.
The Association of Directors of Public Health (UK)
- Warning from the body representing public health directors about the pace of easing restrictions (published May 31)
The British Dental Association
The BDA has reported clarification from NHS England about the way in which mixed practices will be able to obtain financial support. NHS England has confirmed that practices can seek Government supported related to the private aspect of practice income without disqualifying themselves from the NHSE support in respect of NHS income.
The BDA also report that a petition seeking support for directors of small limited companies, such as many dental practice owners, has been signed by more than 200,000 people.
The College of Podiatry
The College of Podiatry is publishing guidance for its members on practice during the Coronavirus crisis.
Faculty of General Dental Practitioners
- Guidance for the safe management of general dental practice (published 1 June)
- Our briefing on the return to work for dental practices during Covid-19 (9 June)
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
- NICE publishes new COVID-19 rapid guideline on arranging planned care in hospitals and diagnostic services
NICE has published a guideline on the arrangements the NHS should put in place for patients needing elective surgery and other planned treatments and procedures (including diagnostics and imaging) during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Joint statement on expanding the nursing workforce in the Covid-19 outbreak
The NMC describes the actions that are being put into place to deal with this emergency situation. The NMC will continue to explore other options to expand the nursing workforce as this rapidly changing situation evolves.
- Covid-19 Frequently Asked Questions
The NMC has put together this guide to address some common questions about their role as a regulator when it comes to coronavirus (Covid-19). The guidance will be updated as the situation progresses. Broadly it relates to the temporary register and students on placements.
Royal College of Physicians in London
The Royal College of Physicians has published ethical guidance for frontline staff.
Social Care Institute for Excellence
- Guidance – Mental Capacity Act – Best interests decisions
Best interests decisions: A COVID-19 quick guide