Covid-19 resources: Home Office departments
Page last updated 3 June 2021.
- NHS surcharge to be scrapped for migrant healthcare workers
The Prime Minister has requested that the Home Office and the DHSC remove NHS and care workers from the NHS surcharge arrangements. Full details are yet to be announced but the latest on this story can be found on the BBC News website. (21 May 2020)
News story – Thousands more health workers to benefit from visa extensions
More than 6,000 frontline health workers will have their visas extended for a year for free, including doctors, nurses and paramedics.
- Speech – Home Secretary’s statement on coronavirus: 21 January 2021
The Home Secretary led the Downing Street briefing on coronavirus, where she announced a new £800 fine for people who attend house parties.
- News story – Mandatory form for international travel launched to prevent illegal trips
From 8 March 2021, passengers travelling abroad will need to carry a new form stating that their trip is permitted under national lockdown rules.
- Guidance – Coronavirus (COVID-19): declaration form for international travel
Complete a travel declaration form to confirm that you are legally allowed to travel abroad from England.
Disclosure and Barring Service
- COVID-19: Changes to standard and enhanced ID checking guidelines
To ensure that the necessary DBS checks can still be carried out, the DBS standard and enhanced ID checking guidance will be changed for a temporary period. The change is in effect from 19 March 2020 and allows for ID documents to be viewed over video link and scanned images to be used in advance of the DBS check being submitted.
- Quicker recruitment during COVID-19
Measures have been put in place to provide DBS checks and fast-track emergency checks of the Adults’ and Children’s Barred Lists, free-of-charge. This will apply to healthcare and social care workers being recruited in response to the COVID-19 emergency.
The new measures will permit employers to appoint new recruits into the sector so long as they are not barred and that appropriate steps are taken to manage these employees until full DBS checks have been received.
- CQC guidance on DBS checks
The CQC has issued interim guidance in response to temporary changes being made by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to DBS applications and processes.
- Guidance – Coronavirus (COVID-19): right to work checks
Advice for employers carrying out right to work checks during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Guidance – Coronavirus (COVID-19): landlord right to rent checks
Advice for landlords carrying out right to rent checks during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.