7th Floor, 85 Fleet Street
London EC4Y 1AE
Nigel has specialised in defence work for solicitors facing Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal proceedings for over 20 years. He advises solicitors and legal practices on all stages of the disciplinary process from SRA investigations to SDT proceedings and appeals. The team, led by Nigel West, is recognised as one of the leading firms for Solicitors Regulation in Chambers and Partners and is named as a Leading Individual in Professional Discipline in the Legal 500.
“He has a wealth of knowledge on case law.” Chambers and Partners 2021
‘Nigel West & Susanna Heley stand out. They have an excellent knowledge of the relevant law.’ Legal 500 2021
“Formidable litigator” Nigel West possesses a wealth of experience in the legal services domain, which he utilises to counsel legal professionals and law firms on SRA appeals and SDT proceedings. Market sources say: “Nigel West has excellent judgement and a first-rate intellect. He is a very good strategist and tactician who has great experience and commercial acumen.” Chambers and Partners 2020
‘Nigel West is a very experienced litigation lawyer and you can see this with his confidence and style – he is never outwitted.’ Legal 500 2020
Nigel West is sought by legal professionals for his experience… Sources praise his expertise in relation to proceedings before the SDT. Chambers and Partners 2019
Nigel West is greatly experienced in defending solicitors and law firms in all disciplinary matters, including SRA proceedings. Sources note: ‘He is very experienced, hard-working and effective.’ Chambers and Partners 2018
‘Highly respected.’ Legal 500 2017
‘Astute tactician‘ Nigel West receives praise from market sources for his ‘sound commercial judgement’. He applies this judgement to the area of solicitors’ disciplinary law, where he has decades of experience. Chambers and Partners 2017
‘The go-to firm…’, RadcliffesLeBrasseur … defend[s] legal … professionals in disciplinary cases against the SRA … Nigel West is recommended for his ‘excellent strategic and tactical analysis.’ Legal 500 2016
Nigel West is characterised as ‘very down to earth and commercial with it. He understands the market and understands the nuances of professional discipline proceedings.’ He focuses on cases in the legal sector. Chambers and Partners 2016
A ‘market leader in the field’ and ‘awash with talented solicitors’, assisting clients from the legal and healthcare professions. Nigel West leads the firm’s solicitor work, which includes representing clients in SRA investigations and Solicitors’ Disciplinary Tribunal hearings. Legal 500 2015
Areas of Expertise
Many of Nigel’s clients have chosen to instruct him on their litigation cases for twenty years or more. Many of his clients are other solicitors who select him for his expertise. He has wide commercial litigation experience ranging from informal settlements to mediation, injunctions, trials and appeals.
Nigel’s work on professional regulation includes:
- Successfully defending a solicitor in the SDT facing a money laundering complaint and obtaining an order dismissing the proceedings
- Successfully appealing a decision of the SDT to strike off a solicitor for dishonesty and obtaining the SRA’s consent to a High Court order setting aside the Tribunal’s decision in its entirety and directing a re-hearing
- Acting for a solicitor facing SDT proceedings for property transactions allegedly bearing the hallmarks of mortgage fraud and negotiating the withdrawal of the proceedings on terms that the solicitor enters into a Regulatory Settlement Agreement
- Successfully acting for a solicitor appealing an SRA intervention and obtaining an order by consent that the intervention resolution be withdrawn
- Obtaining the reversal of an Adjudicator’s Decision to severely reprimand a solicitor for breach of confidentiality
Nigel West and Susanna Heley (who is also a partner at the firm) are the authors of ‘The Solicitor Disciplinary Tribunal – law and practice’.
Nigel is also a Contributing Editor to the solicitors regulation section of Cordery on Legal Services. He is also the Cases Editor for The Law Society’s Legal Compliance Bulletin.
Nigel is a Committee Member of the Solicitors Assistance Scheme and a member of the Law Society’s Regulatory Processes Committee. He has acted as an SDT duty solicitor and he sits as a Defence Representative on the SDT Users Group.
He is also a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL).
- The SRA, sexual harrassment and misconduct
20 December 2018 | Solicitors regulation
- The SDT and the standard of proof
26 September 2018 | Solicitors regulation
- Practical tips for COFAs
14 June 2018 | Corporate | Solicitors regulation
- SRA – Change in the law on dishonesty
24 November 2017 | Solicitors regulation
- SRA warning notice: Holiday sickness claims
7 November 2017 | Solicitors regulation
- Brexit, the Human Rights Act and disciplinary proceedings
24 July 2017 | Solicitors regulation
- The opening gambit: your communication strategy
9 June 2016 | Corporate | Litigation and dispute resolution
- Using client account money to shore up a solicitors’ practice – SRA v Barker and Newton
15 October 2015 | Solicitors regulation
- My Expert – Should I allow him to go “Hot Tubbing”?
30 November 2011 | Litigation and dispute resolution
- Paying Tribute
31 March 2011 | Solicitors regulation
- The Without Prejudice Rule and the many exceptions to it
31 December 2010 | Litigation and dispute resolution
- Discrimination claims in law firms
31 December 2010 | Employment
- Law Society Gazette – Are aptitude tests and higher fees right for the LPC?
4 November 2010 | Corporate | Solicitors regulation