85 Fleet Street
London EC4Y 1AE
Nigel is a Partner and Head of Commercial Litigation and Solicitors Regulation.
He has created a niche practice specialising in defence work for solicitors facing Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal proceedings. He advises solicitors and legal practices on all stages of the disciplinary process from SRA investigations to SDT proceedings and appeals.
Nigel West is greatly experienced in defending solicitors and law firms in all disciplinary matters, including SRA proceedings. Sources note: ‘He is very experienced, hard-working and effective.’ Chambers and Partners 2018
‘Highly respected.’ Legal 500 2017
‘Astute tactician‘ Nigel West receives praise from market sources for his ‘sound commercial judgement’. He applies this judgement to the area of solicitors’ disciplinary law, where he has decades of experience. Chambers and Partners 2017
‘The go-to firm…’, RadcliffesLeBrasseur … defend[s] legal … professionals in disciplinary cases against the SRA … Nigel West is recommended for his ‘excellent strategic and tactical analysis.’ Legal 500 2016
Nigel West is characterised as ‘very down to earth and commercial with it. He understands the market and understands the nuances of professional discipline proceedings.’ He focuses on cases in the legal sector. Chambers and Partners 2016
A ‘market leader in the field’ and ‘awash with talented solicitors’, assisting clients from the legal and healthcare professions. Nigel West leads the firm’s solicitor work, which includes representing clients in SRA investigations and Solicitors’ Disciplinary Tribunal hearings. Legal 500 2015
Areas of Expertise
Many of Nigel’s clients have chosen to instruct him on their litigation cases for twenty years or more. Many of his clients are other solicitors who select him for his expertise. He has wide commercial litigation experience ranging from informal settlements to mediation, injunctions, trials and appeals.
Nigel’s work on professional regulation includes:
- Successfully defending a solicitor in the SDT facing a money laundering complaint and obtaining an order dismissing the proceedings
- Successfully appealing a decision of the SDT to strike off a solicitor for dishonesty and obtaining the SRA’s consent to a High Court order setting aside the Tribunal’s decision in its entirety and directing a re-hearing
- Acting for a solicitor facing SDT proceedings for property transactions allegedly bearing the hallmarks of mortgage fraud and negotiating the withdrawal of the proceedings on terms that the solicitor enters into a Regulatory Settlement Agreement
- Successfully acting for a solicitor appealing an SRA intervention and obtaining an order by consent that the intervention resolution be withdrawn
- Obtaining the reversal of an Adjudicator’s Decision to severely reprimand a solicitor for breach of confidentiality
Nigel West and Susanna Heley (who is also a partner at the firm) are the authors of ‘The Solicitor Disciplinary Tribunal – law and practice’.
Nigel is also a Contributing Editor to the solicitors regulation section of Cordery on Legal Services. He is also the Cases Editor for The Law Society’s Legal Compliance Bulletin.
Nigel is a Committee Member of the Solicitors Assistance Scheme and a member of the Law Society’s Regulatory Processes Committee. He has acted as an SDT duty solicitor and he sits as a Defence Representative on the SDT Users Group.
He is also a member of the London Solicitors Litigation Association and the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL).
- SRA – Change in the law on dishonesty
24 November 2017 | Solicitors regulation
- SRA warning notice: Holiday sickness claims
7 November 2017 | Solicitors regulation
- Brexit, the Human Rights Act and disciplinary proceedings
24 July 2017 | Solicitors regulation
- The opening gambit: your communication strategy
9 June 2016 | Corporate | Litigation and dispute resolution
- Using client account money to shore up a solicitors’ practice – SRA v Barker and Newton
15 October 2015 | Solicitors regulation