We provide a high level of practical experience and knowledge.
Our specialist team advises on CQC regulation and enforcement issues.
Regulation plays an increasingly important role in healthcare and includes the CQC, the GMC, the NMC and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has been responsible for the regulation of health and social care organisations providing regulated services since the Health and Social Care Act 2008 came into force. Its remit includes registration, inspection and enforcement.
Enforcement action by the CQC has been increasing in recent years. The regulator has a range of civil and criminal enforcement options which can have a very significant impact on a provider, whether that is because of the closure of a service or a significant fine. Even lesser enforcement action can have a significant adverse PR impact.
We have significant experience in advising health and social care providers across the country on regulatory action including:
- Advising on registration applications
- Reviewing and assisting with a response to draft CQC inspection reports including the preparation of factual accuracy responses
- Responding to s.31 decisions
- Preparing representations opposing Notices of Proposals
- Making appeal applications to the First Tier Tribunal
- Seeking injunctions
- Advising on fixed penalty notices and prosecutions
- Supporting staff when called for interview under caution
Our team has extensive day-to-day experience of responding to issues raised by the regulator so they bring a high level of practical experience and knowledge that less expert solicitors are unlikely to possess.
Put simply: we know the system and the options and so can provide you with clear and effective strategies.